Different Types of Generators and Their Uses
Electricity is just one which we cannot do without, can you imagine life without power? How then do we run our heavy duty machines to our household appliances? Even in developed countries, we can’t overemphasize the need for consistent power supply.
Generators are machines for generating electricity. They are primary sources of electrical supply when there is no mains supply (industrial range) or an alternative source during a power outage (emergency range).
There are various types of generators ranging in sizes and uses. The four main types of power generators include:
- Electromotive device Generators (EMD)
- Diesel Generators
- Portable Generators
- Natural Gas Generators
Electromotive Device Generators (EMD)
These are devices that generate electricity using electromotive force.
- Electric Diesel motors are some of the most efficient engines available, and they serve a large number of industries because of their durability and efficiency.
- It powers dc generators which in turn provide electricity to electric engines attached to the drivetrain.
Diesel generators are a combination of diesel engine and electrical generator, often an alternator to generate electricity. Widely used to provide backup or standby power to facilities in case of power failure.
The use of diesel generators is essential in the following settings:
- Widely used in Mining and Constructions Industries, providing over 80% of all power needed to drive heavy duty machines like drillers, crane, draglines, excavators.
- Diesel engines in the hospitals help to power equipment and devices used in the Intensive Care Unit or in the Surgical theatres where an uninterrupted power supply is needed.
- Manufacturing Industries cannot under look the importance of constant power supply to drive their heavy machinery which in turn improve their volume of production and optimize the quality of output.
- Data Centers. many industries have their data stored in servers, and power interruptions will cause inaccessibility to the information needed at hand, thus halting their business operations.
A portable generator is the combination of an electrical generator, and an engine mounted together to form a single piece of machine. It runs on gasoline as fuel.
The use of portable generators includes the following:
- Emergency Backup in a situation like a blackout where immediate power is required. It is also convenient and easily transported.
- A Portable generator can be used to organize Concerts, Events, Camping and Backyard Parties.
- Natural Emergencies like hurricanes, earthquakes, and there is a disruption in power supply to a particular location
- Power Source for farms, to drive the water pump and some agricultural machines
Natural Gas Generator
It is a widely used and efficient way of generating power, using natural gas as the source of energy to start the generator. Natural gas generators are in larger cities where the supply of fuel is made readily available through pipelines.
- The natural gas-based generator and gas turbines are very popular worldwide due to their easy start and stop and also for meeting high load demand.
- Natural gases burn cleaner than other fuels, reducing the greenhouse effect that causes global climate change
Generators are essential in sustaining electricity to improve the quality of lives as well as increasing the productivity of industries.